Writer: Julie M. Hughes, (575) 646-1953, firstname.lastname@example.org
The New Mexico State University Board of Regents has selected members of a search committee for its next president.
Board of Regents Chair Mike Cheney said the committee includes a diverse group of university and community leaders who are all committed to a fair process.
"Hiring the university president is the most important priority for our board and I'm pleased that we have been able to put together such a comprehensive committee that includes individuals from as many of NMSU's constituency groups as possible," Cheney said. "The board was pleased to be able to conduct multiple listening sessions throughout the state and values the input received from all of our stakeholders. We heard several recurring themes and will be taking that information into consideration as we form the criteria to be sought in the next leader of NMSU."
NMSU alumnus Larry Lujan will serve as the chair of the 15-member committee.
"Larry will bring a strong level of integrity to the search process along with a keen understanding of our university and our state," Cheney said.
Lujan said he is pleased to serve as the chair of the search committee.
"As a proud Aggie alumnus, I am excited to serve as the chair of the presidential search committee. We will work hard to select the best possible leader for our institution," Lujan said.
The committee includes:
• Larry Lujan, Chair, Albuquerque, president and CEO of the Manuel Lujan Agencies
• Festus Addo-Yobo, Las Cruces, director NMSU Black Programs
• Felicia Casados, Grants, president NMSU Grants
• Ramon Dominguez, El Paso, NMSU associate professor of educational management and development
• Paul Gutierrez, Santa Fe, executive director of the New Mexico Association of Counties
• Debra Hicks, Hobbs, president, CEO and principal engineer of Pettigrew and Associates PA
• Jerean Hutchinson, Las Cruces, co-owner La Posta de Mesilla
• Judy Johnson, Nambe, retired certified public accountant
• Tim Ketelaar, Las Cruces, NMSU associate professor in psychology, NMSU Faculty Senate Chair
• Michael Morehead, Las Cruces, dean NMSU College of Education
• Stan Rounds, Las Cruces, superintendent of Las Cruces Public Schools
• Scott Schafer, Carrizozo, rancher, retired banker
• Steven Stochaj, Las Cruces, NMSU professor of electrical and computer engineering
• Breeana Sylvas, Las Cruces, president Associated Students of NMSU
• Andrew Taylor, Las Cruces, Lt. Col. U.S. Army, NMSU Army ROTC commander
Christopher Dulany, whose term as the student regent is concluding, will serve as an ex-officio member.
"The board is currently evaluating the most economical and effective way to support this committee with the staffing necessary to complete the task. It is anticipated there will be a kick-off meeting of the committee in early January, with work to begin thereafter. As I have mentioned before, it is the desire of the board to select the president by May 2013," Cheney said.
A website for all information related to the search is available at http://www.nmsu.edu/pressearch/index.html. More information about the committee members will be available on the site soon.
© 2013 New Mexico State University Board of Regents
NMSU - All About Discovery!