Writer: Jane Moorman, 505-249-0527, firstname.lastname@example.org
CLAYTON, N.M. - The fourth annual "5-State Beef Conference" will kick off its three-stop tour on Sept. 4 at Woodward, Okla., followed by a stop in Coldwater, Kan., on Sept. 5 and Clayton, N.M., on Sept. 6.
The conference is organized by the Cooperative Extension Service and university beef cattle specialists from New Mexico State University, Oklahoma State University, Colorado State University, Kansas State University and Texas A&M University.
"The program is primarily geared to cow-calf producers, but the material will be of interest to stocker or feeder operations and feedlots," said Manny Encinias, NMSU Extension beef cattle specialist.
"The main focus of this year's conference is the drought. The planning committee has put together an excellent program that should be of interest to all facets of the beef industry," Encinias said.
Program topics are:
• "Evaluating alternative and non-conventional feed resources," Justin Waggoner, Kansas State University beef systems specialist.
• "Evaluation of feeding systems for maintaining cattle," John Wagner, Colorado State University, professor of feedlot nutrition management.
• "Traits and tools for retention and replacement of female cows," Megan Rolf, Oklahoma State University Extension beef cattle genetics specialist.
• "Managing range resources during and recovering from drought," Nick Ashcroft, NMSU Extension range management specialist.
• "Trends and changes impacting livestock economics," Rodney Jones, Oklahoma State University area agricultural economist.
Each meeting is scheduled from 3 to 7 p.m. at each location with dinner provided. The locations are Sept. 4: High Plains Technology Center, 3921 34th St., Woodward, Okla.; Sept. 5: Coldwater Veteran's/City Building, 239 East Main, Coldwater, Kan.; Sept. 6: Clayton Elks Lodge, 201 South First St., Clayton, N.M.
Registration at the door is $50 for single ticket, or $65 for a couple. For more information on the conference, contact Encinias at 505-927-7935.
© 2013 New Mexico State University Board of Regents
NMSU - All About Discovery!