NMSU branding

New Mexico State University

New Mexico State University

News Center




NMSU's Jett Hall evacuated after smoke noticed from ventilation system

A burned-out air ventilation coil is to blame for smoke filling the third floor of New Mexico State University's Jett Hall around 1 p.m. today. Fire fighters discovered the cause shortly after arriving on the scene at the corner of South Horseshoe and Espina Streets.


The university distributed e-mail and text message alerts through its emergency notification system asking the public to avoid the area. A second message was sent about 30 minutes later, after the scene was cleared.

While the building was evacuated as a precaution, it reopened before 2 p.m. University technicians began repairs this afternoon. No other damage was reported.