NMSU branding

New Mexico State University

New Mexico State University

News Center

Pecan Growers Encouraged To Enter Nut Samples for Competition

LAS CRUCES ­ New Mexico pecan growers can enter their prize nuts in the pecan show during the Western Pecan Growers' Association conference at the Hilton in Las Cruces March 3-5.

To compete in the western region, growers must submit a sample of at least 40 pecans before Feb. 15, said Esteban Herrera, horticulture specialist with New Mexico State University's Cooperative Extension Service. Pecans can be entered in one of six categories: 'Western Schley', 'Wichita', improved varieties other than 'Western Schley' or 'Wichita', known hybrids, seedlings and native pecans. A $100 grand prize will be awarded to the best overall entry.

"'Western Schley' and 'Wichita' pecan varieties will be the main categories for the contests because they are the most widely planted in the Western region," Herrera said. "If you think you have a good pecan sample and don't know the variety name, send it anyway, and we'll put your entry in the correct contest division."

Pecans will be judged on kernel percentage, color and uniformity. Herrera said contest entrants should harvest immediately following a nut drop to prevent pecan kernels from rotting in wet soil and to preserve the nut's golden color by minimizing sun exposure.

He also suggests collecting a sample from young trees because they produce heavier and bigger nuts. The pecans should be picked from trees with a light pecan crop to ensure an above-average kernel percentage and should not have green shucks.

Pecans entered in the contest should look natural, and entrants should not alter the appearance of the nuts by rubbing or polishing. Also, the nuts should be uniform in size and from the same variety.

Mail pecan entries to Herrera at Box 3AE, NMSU, Las Cruces, NM, 88003 or to John White, Doa Ana County Extension office , 808 N. Alameda Blvd., Las Cruces, NM, 88005. For more information, call Herrera at (505) 646-2921 or White at (505) 646-6649.